We offer a robust service model of peer support for your patients/ clients. Our Volunteer Visitor team are committed to delivering high standards of service delivery and a positive and supported volunteering experience for our wonderful Volunteer Visitors.
The Volunteer Visitor (VV) service has been operating for over 20 years and its volunteers make a unique contribution to the limb loss community. Our trained, vetted and supervised Volunteer Visitors share their own lived experience with those who have had or are about to have an amputation.
Volunteer Visitors offer empathy, support, and practical advice both pre- and post-amputation through a designated number of visits, focussing on key topics identified by the patient/client. It is a free, non-clinical service.
The LA is committed to creating and maintaining a safe and positive environment and accepts its responsibility to safeguard the welfare of all adults it supports and who are involved in its services, projects, and activities.
What support can Volunteer Visitors offer?
Peer support can fill the space between clinical services and going it alone – it’s the little things they know that can make a big difference. Volunteers are not counsellors or clinicians but can help amputees:
• To be more informed about the limb loss journey ahead
• To navigate the challenges of life beyond limb loss
• To feel more supported and connected
• To reduce anxiety about the future and living with limb loss.
How do visits happen?
Visits are usually undertaken by phone or virtually, and last around an hour. Patients/clients receive one visit, with the option of a further visit/s if required. Amputees can self-refer, or we accept referrals from professionals and relatives. All referrals need patient/client consent.
Volunteer Visitor service specification
We have developed a comprehensive service specification to ensure best practice in our delivery of peer support and volunteering. Our team would be happy to share and discuss this with you.
How can I refer?
You can refer a patient/client to us by:
• Completing a form on our website To make a referral simply request an online referral form here and you will then receive an email providing you with a copy of the full online referral form.
• Calling our Services Support team on 0800 644 0185 or emailing them at firstname.lastname@example.org
• Requesting a paper version of the referral form – you can contact our Services Support team for this.
We aim to respond to all new referrals within two days.
The form is easy to complete, but if support is needed, our friendly team of Service Support Officers are available Mon-Fri 9-5 to assist – just call 0800 644 0185.